Saturday, November 20, 2010

Carmelo Anthony Says He Couldn't Do Anything Without Education

'I had to take care of school, and then everything else just fell in place,' NBA phenom reminds kids at Get Schooled event.
By Mawuse Ziegbe, with reporting by Jeff Schneider


Carmelo Anthony
Photo: MTV News

Carmelo Anthony's mesmerizing moves on the court wouldn't be possible without one key factor — and it's not just putting in extra work at practice.

"Without education, I couldn't really do nothing," Anthony told MTV News at a Get Schooled event at Denver's George Washington High School, which was also attended by Ludacris, indie MC Saigon and 'Melo's wife La La Vazquez. "Without my grades, I couldn't really play ball, I couldn't really hang out. I had to take care of school, and then everything else just fell in place."

The Denver Nuggets forward insisted that anybody who wants to score success should use a strong educational background as their jumping-off point.

"Education should be first in everybody's agenda. I think high school and just education gets you prepared for the real world," 'Melo maintained.

As challenging as homework may be, the megastar baller said making a mark outside of the classroom is a lot harder.

"All the subjects that you think is hard right now in high school, trust me, it gets harder out there in the real world," he explained. "So this is where it starts, this is the stepping-stone."

Anthony said he enjoyed his face time with the high-schoolers at the event and dreamed big about taking the project to the next level.

"I think Get Schooled probably, for me, is one of the best programs that I've been involved in — and I'm not just saying that because I'm on here," Anthony said. "Just for the simple fact that we get a chance to hear from young kids what's going on in their mind and their life and what can they do to better their education.

"I wish that we could just do it on a much bigger scale. Hopefully we can just grow the tour to 20 cities next time," he continued. "And not just have us come out there and talk, but actually showing the statistics and the videos, just everything that goes along with it."

Stay tuned to MTV News for more information about how you can get the president to speak at your commencement celebration at the end of this school year. Get Schooled is a national program aimed at increasing high school and college graduation rates and promoting the importance of education, developed by Viacom in partnership with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Related Artists

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1652740/20101119/carmelo_anthony.jhtml

Rachel McAdams Rachel Nichols Rachel Perry Rachel Weisz Radha Mitchell

No comments:

Post a Comment